Sunday, January 17, 2010

What's next?

Bob and I have some big decisions to make about what fertility steps we'll take next. Medically speaking, our only option left is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). We knew going into the IUI that more than one did not make sense for us medically or financially. With the injectables and the monitoring, another IUI is just $$ down the drain that could otherwise go towards IVF.

Our fertility clinic offers an IVF program called Shared Success. Qualified patients (which, we are), pay a program fee that would include 1 fresh IVF cycle and unlimited Frozen Embryo Transfers (FET's), provided that we have frozen embryos (which would be very likely that we would). In addition to this fee, we would pay for a monitoring package and for our medications out of pocket (OOP). There are also a few other incidentals that we would pay OOP, but that are minor in comparison to the overall fees. *If* our IVF cycles are not successful, we would receive a 70% refund of the program cost.

The soonest that would even be an option to begin IVF would be the middle of February. But in all honesty, I truly feel that God is telling us to wait. Wait for what? I have no idea. For how long? Once again, no idea? I don't feel as though He's saying no, but just, wait. Accepting and obeying this is very hard for me. Especially when we're told that IVF is our last option. Often times, real faith goes beyond all understanding. I continue to trust that God knows better than I do.

I've also been exploring acupuncture for infertility. I love that my fertility clinic has acupuncture right on site. However, I hate that my insurance company does not see it as a real treatment for infertility, therefore, not covering it's expense. Though I can use my HSA. It's not cheap, but I think that I may benefit from acupuncture therapy and frankly, I'm willing to try anything at this point, either alone or in tandem with the IVF.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, feel free to repost the poem on your blog if you wish. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our last IVF cycle was through a Shared Risk program. After one cycle that ended in miscarriage, the new year brought new insurance so we pulled out of shared risk and will get 100% of our money back. We're praying that this current cycle will work so we don't have to re-enroll in the program again.

    Waiting is the hardest part! The Lord knows best and we just need to have faith in Him.

    I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,

    I just wanted to say that I decided to check back at your blog after your original babycenter post back at the start of the month. With the end of semester duties at my school and state exams I've been meaning to find out how your journey is going.

    With being snowed in today here in Wake Co and church closed today I am catching up in the blog world while my husband and son are outside sleding.

    I am very, very sorry to see that your much anticipated IUI didn't result in a positive test. I read today that you are moving on to consider IVF. This is very much what our situation was last year also with Carolina Conceptions. After SIF and a planned IUI we moved on to IVF last summer. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the REs at the clinic. I acutally followed Dr. Couchman when she moved from Duke just to stay with her.

    I see that you are also considering accupuncture. I did this leading up to the IVF cycle as well on the days of retrival and transfer in clinic and found it very, very relaxing and helpful to get my mind centered.

    IVF as well as IF in general is such a emotional journey that no one seems to understand unless you have been there. I wish you peace in making decisions and whatever you decide is the next step.

    I am more than happy to talk to you offline or through your blog (or mine) about what IVF was like at their clinic. I am very happy to know of the area clinics you are with them.

    ReplyDelete