Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Can you kindly direct me to the Infertile waiting room?

In all my excitement and preparation for today's appointment, I neglected to realize that I may have to sit in a waiting room full of pregnant women and wait. And wait. And wait. You see when you're five minutes early for an appointment and they're running 30 minutes behind, yep, that means 35 agonizing minutes of being absolutely surrounded by pregnant bellies.

I did my best to try to keep distracted, but I found myself trying to hold back tears while I waited. I pretended to read a magazine. Checked my phone half a dozen times. Choked down water. All along, averting my eyes from the other women and their bellies. It was very painful for me today. I kept reminding myself why I was there, the tests I was scheduled to have and the hope that I will be pregnant again. I know that I will be pregnant again.

I had 10 vials of blood taken for a comprehensive panel checking for Lupus, blood clotting disorders and an ANA panel. I had my thyroid rechecked, as well as further chromosomal testing. Some tests will come back within a few days while others will take a few weeks. I glanced over at the sheet with lab orders during the blood draw. Reason for lab - habitual aborter and history of 2nd trimester loss. What an ugly label.

I talked to Dr. Segal about next steps after the results. He said that if they do show any blood clotting issues, I'll have to do heparin injections once I get pregnant. I'm now scheduled for an appointment with UNC Maternal Fetal Medicine at REX for next Monday. I was referred to the same doctors when my last pregnancy became high risk. I was there when we found out that Robert had died; I'm nervous to go back. Dr. Segal feels that it would help for me to just go for a consult since they have a record of my history and may have more insight into what more I can do before we move on to IVF, especially if there's something inherently wrong that is preventing me to hold a pregnancy. He believes that they will put me on baby aspirin and progesterone. Monday can't get here soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Guess what? Now I am up to 5 FRIENDS that I found out are pregnant this week......I feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete