Monday, February 1, 2010

Is Your Body Baby Friendly? and Unexplained Infertility

I've just begun to read the book Is Your Body Baby-Friendly? by Alan e. Beer, M.D. It focuses on "unexplained" infertility, m/c and IVF failure. Although I am only at the beginning of this book, I'm especially intrigued at the notion that my immune system could be posing an issue to conceiving again. Dr. Beers also believes that it is safe to assume that an immune system problem may be suspected in cases of unexplained infertility.


Dr. Beer has identified 5 categories that could potentially pose a conception or pregnancy threat, including:
  • Category 1 - The couple's tissue is too compatible
  • Category 2 - Blood-clotting problems
  • Category 3 - An immune reaction to the baby
  • Category 4 - Both partners produce antibodies to sperm
  • Category 5 - White blood cells run riot - this category includes Natural Killer Cells (NK Cells), Antibodies to hormones and Antibodies to neurotransmitters
I've keyed in on Category 5 for myself based on the factors identified in this book, specifically dealing with NK cells. No let me begin by saying that I am not a scientist and don't pretend to be. I'm just trying very hard to understand and interpret what Dr. Beer is trying to say. And to anyone out there, please feel free to chime in if you can shed any light on all of this. If I'm understanding correctly, we are all born with NK cells. They are the bodies way of trying to defend us against cancer, etc. They are part of our  bodies natural defenses. 

Okay, now the info gets a little bit much for me to completely understand, but I did zone in on the section of cytotoxic NK cells, because it states that the highest levels are found in women with one or more liveborn child(ren) followed by secondary infertility. Ding! Ding! Ding! My radar really went off with this statement. 

Okay, so what now? What can I do with this new information? Well, at the very least, I'm going to bring it up to both my OB and my RE. My OB because he was there during my last pregnancy and the loss of Robert. He has all the results from both testing of Bob and I and from Robert's autopsy. And my RE, because he's my go-to-guy for my infertility now. I don't know what they'll say and if there's really anything else that I can do at this point. All I know is that until I've exhausted all my resources, I will not settle for unexplained infertility. I'm hoping and praying that one of my doctors can help me do additional testing that could potentially reveal more about what exactly is going on in my body. 

I'd be very interested and appreciative in hearing about any other infertility testing that others have had done. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I will have to check it out. I've had three miscarriages and they can't figure out why. Currently in the 2WW and praying that this cycle wil be it for us. If not, I will seriously need to look into the why!

    I hope you can get some feedback on this from other readers who have been through it.

    ReplyDelete