Monday, February 1, 2010

Unexplained Infertility

I hate I've been labeled infertile. Furthermore, I hate that it's unexplained infertility. What exactly does that mean, anyway? Okay, I do know the literal meaning. What I don't like is that it's so indefinite. Could it be anymore ambiguous? It is such a helpless diagnosis. It makes me feel powerless against this fight. I feel like if I knew what it was, I could have a more "targeted" response. But alas, it is unexplained. For now, anyways.

I know that my OB and RE have done all the necessary, preliminary fertility testing. They've done what they think they are supposed to do and truthfully, nothing more. Don't get me wrong. I really do love my RE and my clinic. But let's face it. They are in the business of making babies. It behooves them to do the minimum when it comes to testing and slowly "nudge" us to either IUI or IVF. Why? Because it's money. I'm not calling this good or bad, it just is. But what I am saying is that most clinics are perfectly okay with handing out an unexplained infertility diagnosis because it means more of a chance that we will move on to ART and as we all know, ART is not cheap. And if we really want to be honest, our IVF dollars are not going so they can send it to charities in Africa. More likely it's going towards their new Mercedes. No, I am not trying to make our RE's sound like the bad guys, but Infertility is a business. And a huge business, at that.

So what's my point? The point is that it is my job to be my own infertility advocate. It's not that they don't care. It's just that it's my job to be informed. I fear that I have not done enough homework, but now I'm playing catch-up and all I can say is, "Holy Cow! I'm learning a lot!"

What I'm coming to realize is that unexplained does not have to be the end. Maybe it will be, but until I've pushed for more testing, I'm not settling for that diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment