Sunday, April 19, 2009

Living an intentional life

This morning's sermon at church had a profound effect on me. Pastor Jimmy began the series "30 Days to Live", asking the question, "How would you live your life if you KNEW that you had just 30 days to live?". Maybe you would spend more time with your family. Or maybe you would work on reconciliation in that broken relationship. Perhaps it would be then that you would finally decide where you want to be after death. Of course his point being, "What in the World are we waiting for?!?!?!?!" The fact is that there are no guarantees, although everyone of us lives as if we have 50 more years or one more week or even one more day. But the truth is, it could all end in an instant and then there are no more chances to get it right. 

So as I go through the day today, and every day that I'm here, I plan on taking a little more time with what I'm doing. To enjoy all the lovin' from my Mason. To hold Bob's hand or to steal a kiss every chance I get. To tell them that I love them. 

I was especially convicted thinking about my relationship with my mom. I know that I've been wrong and have made mistakes, that we've both made mistakes. I don't want to get that call that she's gone and then to live with the regret of past hurts and words. I bet that so many people get to where I am but say to themselves, "Okay, if so-and-so makes the first step, then I'll talk to them or work on this." But if we're always waiting for the other person to make the next step, then we know it will never happen. To put it bluntly, sometimes the more emotionally mature person has to decide to make the first move. Maturity has nothing to do with age, but it does have to do with personal responsibility. 

Today I live in the moment with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment