Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm an ICLW Virgin!

This is my first month participating in ICLW, so if you haven't been to my blog before, welcome!

Here's a little background on me and our infertility journey:

I'm Katy and I've been married for almost 9 years to the love of my life, Bobby. Bob and I met at work and started a secret, office romance in July, 2000. We were married a year later in October, 2001. We focused on life as a newly married couple, buying our first home, etc. We waited three years to begin TTC. In September, 2004, after only two cycles of TTC, we conceived twins on our own. Unfortunately, I m/c one baby at eight weeks and was expected to lose both. But after a week of bed rest and an U/S, there was our sweet son, Mason. Mason was born in May, 2005.

Over the next few years, we had a lot of transition. I lost my dad just 6 months after Mason was born. Bob changed jobs and we moved from FL to NC. We went back and forth about when we'd start TTC again for another child. In March, 2008, I had my Mirena removed and it was estimated that we had conceived again within only a week. Sadly, I delivered our second son, Robert, still at almost 20 weeks. We had extensive genetic testing done, as well as autopsy of Robert and the placenta. My son was perfect. It was a fluke. They never were able to give us a definitive answer about why our son had died.

Even with the grief of losing our son still heavy on our hearts, we began TTC again just 8 weeks after Robert had died. At the sixth month mark, we were advised by my OB to come in and talk about possible intervention. I began on Clomid, even though I was O'ing on my own. After a few months of Clomid, I moved on the Femara. Next came the HSG; free and clear. Finally, there was nothing left that my OB could do and I was referred for the first time to a RE.

Between the time of the referral and getting an appt. with a RE, Bob's job was part of a buy-out and he would now be employed by a new company. We learned then that our insurance had gone from $20,000 in fertility diagnosis and treatment with his old company to no fertility coverage with his new company. We were devastated.

I first saw Dr. Meyer at Carolina Conceptions in November, 09 and it was then that I was formally diagnosed with unexplained secondary infertility. Basically, I can't get pregnant and they can't tell me why. I did my first IUI with injectables in December, 09; BFN. We were advised to go directly to IVF.

We took some time to regroup and to figure out how to pay for IVF. In March, 2010, we officially began to move forward with IVF. Unfortunately, my IVF cycle was cancelled and converted to another IUI, due to poor ovarian response. Also another BFN.

We went right into another cycle, a flare cycle this time. I was on BCP's for an entire month. Just as we were to begin my new cycle of Stims, God was confirming for us that IVF is not what He had planned for us. After a lot of prayers and tears, we voluntarily cancelled our IVF cycle. That was three weeks ago.

So now, we patiently wait for what's next for our family. I'm letting God be God, and being obedient to what He wants to do. We're keeping our hearts and minds open and excited to see where He wants to take our family.

For a more extensive timeline of tests, procedures, etc., please feel free to check out My Fertility Journey So Far.

If you've gotten to this point, perhaps you may even leave a comment ;-)

8 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that God will provide, and I really commend you for following your heart and cancelling the IVF, I am sure that was so hard. It's so hard to really give up control and truly trust when you long for something so bad. I can't wait to follow along with your journey and see where God takes you! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog & welcome to ICLW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your wonderful boy keeps you going while you wait for the answers. If you have found peace with your decision to cancel IVF I'm certain it's God's will for you. I hope the blessings in store for you are as wonderful as anything you could have imagined. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from ICLW! Hope God's plan includes a BFP for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy ICLW!

    You have been through so much, my prayers are with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to ICLW! This is my second time and I love it. I hope you have a great time meeting new friends.

    I'm sorry about the BFN's. Those are no fun.

    Keep your faith, :-)

    Happy ICLW! #50

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the encouragement and the prayers! What a blessing to be a part of such an awesome community of women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've been through so much! I'm so sorry for your losses and BFNs and cancelled cycles. I'm sure all of it was (and still is) so devastating. I'm glad you're reaching out and blogging about it. (ICLW #45 & 46)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stopping by for the first time through ICLW. Thank you for checking out my blog as well!
    I'm so sorry for all that you have been through. I hope that God speaks to your family over the coming days and months and shows you how He plans to grow your family. I pray that you will have peace that only He can give during this waiting time!

    ReplyDelete