Sunday, February 6, 2011

Not "If" but "When"

"When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze."
Isaiah 43:2 (NIV)

Faith is scary. Stepping out into the unknown, often all alone, can be very difficult, to say the very least. Often times, it feels like you're looking into a dark, black abyss. You have absolutely no idea what lies ahead because all you can see is what is lit directly under you or maybe a little in front you. The hardest part of faith is taking that first step and trusting. Just trusting God that he'll be there when you take that step.

Trust. That's also a tough one. Trusting people is even tougher. Because people will let you down. People will do things or say things that will hurt. Even Believers. If I rely on other people to encourage or build me up, I'll undoubtedly be disappointed. If I rely on the acceptance of other people as a gauge of who I am, I will never be satisfied. God's approval is all that matters.

This verse in Isaiah has been haunting me for weeks now. Every where I turn, I'm hearing this verse, so I'm convinced that God really needs to me listen, to get it. This verse screams faith to me. It says, "Hey, guess what? You are going to struggle and WHEN you do, I'll be there." Notice it doesn't say "if" but "when." I alone. I, the Lord your God, will be there. You are going to pass through waters, but I won't let them swallow you. You are going to walk through fire, but I won't let it consume you. I will allow you to lose a son, but I have not forsaken you. You will walk through the devastation of infertility, but it will not destroy you.

Now I realize that more than likely, this verse is referring to when the Isrealites walked through the open waters of the Red Sea and when Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stepped into that firey furnace, but even more, it refers to faith.

The very title of my blog refers to stepping out in faith. So over the next several months, I'll be doing just that. Bob and I will be embarking on a new path in our fertility journey. Unfortunately, I'll be keeping my hand a little closer to my chest this time. I will not be posting a play-by-play like I have in the past. Perhaps I will share more after we're done, but not right now. I hope that people will understand. It's just that I think I've learned my lesson with my raw honesty; it makes people too uncomfortable. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind and say, "screw it!" But for right now, my lips are sealed. I will ask for prayers, though. Prayers for wisdom and guidance as we take a huge step of faith. I know that God has already begun to write an amazing part of our story; I can't wait to see how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Katy! I was just in these very verses last night. I guess I have some listening to do, too. :)

    ReplyDelete