Monday, May 23, 2011

The In-Law Prayer

The In-Law Prayer*

God grant me the patience
to deal with my in-laws;
to accept their passive aggressive behavior
as a reflection of their own unhappiness
and to not take the things that they 
say or do personally.
To smile and politely nod
when my MIL tells me repeatedly (in her own special way)
that her daughter is a better:
Mom
Wife
Cook 
Woman
than I am. 
The courage to speak when necessary,
especially when it comes to Mason
and the way Bob and I choose to parent.
To encourage them to get to know
their grandson 
so that they realize that he's a six year old boy
and not a two year old little girl.
Please remind me constantly that I may be
the only way they see Jesus
today
tomorrow
or ever.

~Amen


*While this is loosely based upon The Serenity Prayer, I mean no disrespect to those in recovery and it is in no way intended to mock the original prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment